I am still processing. My mind is going a million miles a minute.

Today, we went to Las Americans to learn more about the process. The hoops that one has to jump through and “prove” to our government why they are seeking a better life is ridiculous.

We then went to the Rico Ministry and sang songs and colored with unaccompanied minors, children who crossed the border without their parent(s) and are waiting to be reunited with family. I was frustrated when I couldn’t communicate with the 7yr girl from Honduras but continued with my crappy basic Spanish. I didn’t realize how selfish I was being until another volunteer told me “Love has no language. The children see the love in your eyes.” She was exactly right. The little girl found it hilarious how hard I was trying and how badly I spoke. My heart broke when the children all left, not knowing where they will end up or who they will be one day.

After, we went to the border for a prayer service. This was incredibly intense. People gathered on both sides of the border. To shake the hands of another human being on the opposite side of the metal that splits families, friends, and communities is indescribable… I felt helpful and ashamed to be American.